Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, December 2, 2010

Info Post
Regular readers of Another Old Movie Blog know what an excellent job Jacqueline Lynch does analyzing classic films in the context of their times.

Jacqueline's latest series, "War Stories," is about WWII "homefront" films. Movies from this era, such as SINCE YOU WENT AWAY (1944), which I watched on Thanksgiving, have long been a particular interest of mine.

Jacqueline's detailed post on MRS. MINIVER (1942) is simply outstanding. (Those who haven't yet seen the film may want to note that all major plot points are revealed as part of the analysis.) Her post brings back many of the emotions I felt when I first became acquainted with MRS. MINIVER at the age of 11 or 12.

The film had such an impact on me that I learned the "Wilcoxon Speech" for an English class project in which we were to recite a speech and give a brief introduction on the context. A year or two later I went on to write an entire research paper on homefront films.

Future posts at Another Old Movie Blog will focus on what is perhaps my favorite comedy, THE MORE THE MERRIER (1944), and LOVE LETTERS (1945), a romance starring Joseph Cotten and Jennifer Jones. George Stevens' THE MORE THE MERRIER, which stars Jean Arthur, Joel McCrea, and Charles Coburn, was just playing in my house when one of my children watched it last weekend. I've never seen LOVE LETTERS and look forward to it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment